The Proverbs 31 Woman is the standard most of us think of when we think of Godly womanhood. The Lord gave us her example to learn from and follow after. Sometimes though, we can lose focus of this biblical vision, things get busy, life gets in the way, and before you know it we are just running through the motions. We might even think we are pursuing this godly vision, yet our hearts are far from the Proverbs 31 woman.
Last year the Lord spoke to me about this issue in my own heart. The realization came to me that I was going through the motions, yet I had lost the heart of Proverbs 31. I was trying to be the Proverbs 31 woman on the outside but in my heart I wasn’t seeking it. As the Lord showed me all of this I realized that I had let myself slip away from my biblical calling. I repented for not pursuing His plan for my life and re-committed myself to the picture of biblical womanhood shown in the scriptures.
There were several indicators that I had lost the heart of Proverbs 31:
- Doubts that not pursuing a job meant I was wasting my life.
- Anger at doing the same homemaking jobs over, and over, and over again. (What was the point of cleaning? It just got dirty again.)
- Wishing that I was doing something important with my life.
- Procrastinating more than usual.
- A constant bad attitude.
- Hating coming home.
- Being aggravated with every room that I walked into.
- Wishing that all meals were as easy as frozen pizza.
- Feeling like a failure at life.
- Avoidance of anything to do with homemaking.
- A desire to run away and never return to our house again.
For the longest time I did not even realize I was in this place. I was still doing everything I had to. Then when the Lord convicted my heart I knew that I could either embrace His plan, no matter where He led me, or I could continue to live being miserable.
I wish that I could say I have been in pursuit of the heart of Proverbs 31 since that day, but there are still times of struggle. There probably always will be while here on this earth. Because as long as we have this sin nature, we will have to choose to continue seeking the heart of a godly woman.
So what about you? Are you walking through the motions or truly seeking to have the heart of the Proverbs 31 woman? If you have lost the vision of godly womanhood, look to the Lord to guide you back to His plan! I guarantee you will find joy, peace, and contentment there!
Have you ever lost sight of the heart of Proverbs 31? How did the Lord work in your heart to bring you back to His plan?
Linked – Up at